Residence card of a family member of an EU citizen in Finland
This form is for you if you are a family member of an EU citizen, but you are not an EU citizen and you wish to stay in Finland longer than three months. Citizens of Liechtenstein and Switzerland are also regarded as EU citizens.
Family members of an EU citizen include:
- direct descendants who are under 21 years of age, or your dependants, and similar descendants of your spouse
- dependent relatives in the direct line of ascent, and similar relatives of your spouse.
For additional information, please visit the website of the Finnish Immigration Service.
You cannot yet apply for a residence card for a child via a guardian’s user account. You have to create a separate user account for the child or complete a paper application.
Check that you have all the necessary attachments and information before you begin:
- a valid passport
- clarification of family ties form
- proof of marriage or a registered partnership
- the registration certificate of the EU citizen with whom you enter the country or whom you will follow
- information on family ties (children, dependent relatives)
- from cohabiting couples, proof of cohabitation, unless you have a child in joint custody
- from other family members, a document issued by an authority in their home country or country of departure showing that the other family members are dependants of the EU citizen or live in the same household with him or her, or information on a serious health reason owing to which it is vital that the EU citizen personally cares for the said other family member.
Complete the application and select your service point
Complete the application form and attach all the required documents. Select your service point. You must prove your identity at a Migri service point in Finland within three months of submitting your application. Please take into account that the service points can be very busy. You can book an appointment already before submitting the application using Migri's appointment system.
Pay and submit your application
The processing of an application is subject to a fee. You can pay the processing fee with most credit cards, or use the online banking services provided by Finnish banks. You can also pay the processing fee at the Migri service point during your visit to prove your identity.
Visit the selected authority to identify yourself
Visit a Migri service point to prove your identity and to present the original versions of any attachments required for the application. Remember to take a passport photo with you.
Follow the processing of your application
You can follow the processing of your application in the e-service. If further information or documents are required for your application, we will send you a request through the e-service. You will receive a notification when a decision has been made and can be read online.