If you are applying for an extended permit or renewing your residence permit card or residence card, it is possible for you to avoid visiting a service point to prove your identity. Read more about the requirements: migri.fi/en/identification. Watch our ”Proving your identity without visiting a service point” guide video.

First residence permits
Residence permit application on the basis of family ties
Residence permit application for a spouse of a Finnish citizen

Residence permit application for a spouse of a Finnish citizen

This form is for you if you are applying for your first Finnish residence permit on the basis of family ties. Your spouse is a Finnish citizen and you intend to move to Finland and to lead a family life with him/her. Your spouse is your husband/wife, your registered partner of the same gender or a cohabitee with whom you have lived in a marriage-like relationship for at least two years, or with whom you have joint care of a child.

You are not required to have secure means of support.


Get ready

Check that you have all the necessary attachments and information before you begin. You must have, at least, a valid passport and documentation on your family ties:

  • marriage certificate or certificate of registered partnership (legalised)
  • copy of the passport page containing personal data and copies of all pages with notes in your passport and in your spouse’s passport
  • proof of living together if you are applying on the basis of cohabitation, for example a tenancy agreement or an extract from a register of occupants, or alternatively a birth certificate with information on the child’s parents (legalised) and a certificate of joint custody of the child (legalised)
  • divorce certificate or a certificate of dissolution of registered partnership if you have or your spouse has previously been married or in a registered partnership and separated (legalised)
  • death certificate if you or your spouse is a widower or a widow (legalised)

Official certificates, such as birth and marriage certificates, must be legalised if they are not issued by an authority in a Nordic country or an EU Member State. If the documents that are attached to the application are not in Finnish, Swedish or English, they must be accompanied by a translation into one of these languages by an authorised translator. You must present the original documents and their translations when you visit your service point to prove your identity.

You must also attach the form for clarification of family ties (PK2_plus) to your application. The form must be filled in and signed by your spouse.

If you do not have a valid passport that is approved by the Finnish authorities and you cannot obtain one due to circumstances beyond your control, you can attach a written statement instead of a passport copy where you explain why you cannot obtain a passport.


Fill in the application and choose your service point

Complete the application form and attach all the required documents. Select your service point. The service point is where you prove your identity. You will find more information at migri.fi/en/identification. If you are applying for a permit abroad, visit a Finnish embassy or consulate. If you are applying in Finland, visit a Migri service point. Please take into account that the service points can be very busy. If you are in Finland, you can book an appointment before submitting an application in Migri's appointments system. If you are abroad, contact the embassy or consulate directly.


Pay and submit the application

The processing of an application is subject to a fee. You can pay the processing fee with most credit cards, or use the online banking services provided by Finnish banks. You can also pay the processing fee at the embassy or at the Migri service point during your visit to prove your identity.


Visit the selected authority to prove your identity

When you have submitted your application via the e-service, you must visit the service point you selected in order to prove your identity, to present the original copies of the attachments required for your application and to have your fingerprints taken. Remember to take a passport photo with you. Passport photo guidelines can be found on the website of the Finnish police.


Submit the application

It is difficult to estimate the exact processing time of an individual application made on the basis of family ties. For example, if further clarifications are needed for the application and if the required information cannot be obtained from documents but an oral hearing must be arranged, this will affect the processing time. According to the Aliens Act, residence permit applications made on the basis of family ties are processed, as a rule, within nine months.

You can follow the processing of your application in the e-service. If further information or documents are required for your application, we will send you a request first and foremost through the e-service.

The authorities can also contact your family member who lives in Finland.

You will receive a notification when a decision has been made and can be read online.

Create a new application

Create a user account
To create a new application you need to create a user account first.
Log in
You have already created a user account and want to create a new application or check the progress of pending applications.