Always sign in to Enter Finland with the latest version of your web browser and please use one of the following browsers to sign in: Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, Opera or Safari.
Technical difficulties in Enter Finland:
- The start page menu is not displayed properly on all mobile phones. If you cannot see the entire menu, rotate your mobile phone horizontally or use a computer.
- Problems with making payments if payment of processing fee gets interrupted before confirmation
- Due to technical problems, some customers cannot open requests for additional information at the moment
- There may be delays in partial decisions on residence permits for an employed person or on residence permits for seasonal work becoming visible in Enter Finland for Employers
- Payment information is not visible on Enter Finland for applications paid before 30 June 2023
For more information and instructions, see the page Technical issues and service breaks in Enter Finland (migri.fi)
If you are applying for an extended permit or citizenship or renewing your residence permit card or residence card, it is possible that you do not need to visit a service point to prove your identity. For more information about when visiting a service point is not necessary, see the page Identification migri.fi/en/identification.
Residence permit for a internship
Use this form to apply for a residence permit if you are coming to Finland to do an internship, to do voluntary work, or to take part in a Working Holiday. See below for more information about when you should use this application form.
You can use this application form in the following situations:
• You are coming to Finland for an internship that takes up to 18 months and:
- you have completed a higher education degree within the past two years or are currently studying in a programme that leads to a higher education degree; or
- you are between 18 and 30 years of age, you are studying at a higher education institution outside Finland, and the internship is in a field matching your studies or your degree; or
- you are between 18 and 30 years of age, and you are studying the Finnish or Swedish language at a university outside Finland; or
- your internship is part of an exchange programme run by a non-governmental organisation or is based on an intergovernmental agreement.
• You are coming to Finland for an unpaid training programme and:
- you will stay in Finland for up to 18 months; and
- your traineeship is part of an exchange programme run by a non-governmental organisation or is based on an intergovernmental agreement.
• You are coming to Finland to volunteer in a voluntary service scheme of the European Union or of a non-governmental organisation for up to one year.
• You are a citizen of Australia, New Zealand or Japan and are coming to Finland for a Working Holiday for a maximum of one year.
If none of the options above seem correct, please use the Application Finder on our website to find the right application for you.
Check that you have all the necessary attachments and information before you begin. You must have at least:
- a valid passport
- an internship agreement signed with the employer
- other clarifications related to the internship.
Fill in the application and choose your service point
Complete the application form and attach all the required documents. Select your service point. The service point is where you prove your identity. You will find more information at migri.fi/en/identification. If you are applying for a permit abroad, visit a Finnish embassy or consulate. If you are applying in Finland, visit a Migri service point. Please take into account that the service points can be very busy. If you are in Finland, you can book an appointment before submitting an application in Migri's appointments system. If you are abroad, contact the embassy or consulate directly.
Pay and submit the application
The processing of an application is subject to a fee. You can pay the processing fee with most credit cards, or use the online banking services provided by Finnish banks. You can also pay the processing fee at the embassy or at the Migri service point during your visit to prove your identity.
Visit the selected authority to prove your identity
When you have submitted your application via the e-service, you must visit the service point you selected in order to prove your identity, to present the original copies of the attachments required for your application and to have your fingerprints taken. Remember to take a passport photo with you. Passport photo guidelines can be found on the website of the Finnish Police.
Follow the processing
You can follow the processing of your application in the e-service. If further information or documents are required for your application, we will send you a request primarily through the e-service. If necessary, the request will be sent to your employer.. You will receive a notification when a decision has been made and can be read online.