Always sign in to Enter Finland with the latest version of your web browser and please use one of the following browsers to sign in: Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, Opera or Safari.
Residence permit for a trainee
This residence permit application form is for you if you are coming to Finland for an internship for a duration of up to 18 months, and
- you are 18 to 30 years old you are studying at a university abroad and the internship is in a field corresponding to your studies or qualifications, or
- you are 18 to 30 years old and studying the Finnish or Swedish language at a university abroad, or
- you have completed a university degree within two years (24 months) or you are currently studying in a university degree programme.
- is included in an exchange programme run by a non-governmental organisation
- is voluntary work in an official volunteer programme of the European Union
- is based on an intergovernmental agreement (e.g. Working Holiday for citizens of Australia and New Zealand)
If none of the options above seem correct, please check whether this is the correct form for you.
Check that you have all the necessary attachments and information before you begin. You must have at least:
- a valid passport
- an internship agreement signed with the employer
- other clarifications related to the internship.
Fill in the application and choose your service point
Complete the application form and attach all the required documents. Select your service point. The service point is where you prove your identity. You will find more information at migri.fi/en/identification. If you are applying for a permit abroad, visit a Finnish embassy or consulate. If you are applying in Finland, visit a Migri service point. Please take into account that the service points can be very busy. If you are in Finland, you can book an appointment before submitting an application in Migri's appointments system. If you are abroad, contact the embassy or consulate directly.
Pay and submit the application
The processing of an application is subject to a fee. You can pay the processing fee with most credit cards, or use the online banking services provided by Finnish banks. You can also pay the processing fee at the embassy or at the Migri service point during your visit to prove your identity.
Visit the selected authority to prove your identity
When you have submitted your application via the e-service, you must visit the service point you selected in order to prove your identity, to present the original copies of the attachments required for your application and to have your fingerprints taken. Remember to take a passport photo with you. Passport photo guidelines can be found on the website of the Finnish Police.
Follow the processing of your application
You can follow the processing of your application in the e-service. If further information or documents are required for your application, we will send you a request primarily through the e-service. If necessary, the request will be sent to your employer.. You will receive a notification when a decision has been made and can be read online.