If you are applying for an extended permit or citizenship or renewing your residence permit card or residence card, it is possible that you do not need to visit a service point to prove your identity. For more information about when visiting a service point is not necessary, see the page Identification migri.fi/en/identification
Extended and permanent residence permits

Extended and permanent residence permits

The Finnish Immigration Service will grant you an extended permit if the requirements for granting you your previous fixed-term residence permit still exist. An extended permit can also be granted on a different ground than your previous permit, if you could be granted a first residence permit on this new ground. An extended permit is granted for up to four years. We recommend you don't apply for an extended permit until there are three months left until your current permit expires. If you apply too early, we may need to request new, up to date information from you to make a decision.

You may apply for a permanent residence permit if you have resided in Finland continuously for four years with a fixed-term continuous residence permit (A) and the requirements for granting a continuous residence permit still exist. The time period of four years begins on the day of your entry into Finland, if you had a continuous residence permit when you came to Finland, or on the first day of your first continuous residence permit, if you applied for the permit in Finland. A permanent residence permit can be refused if you have committed or are suspected of crimes.

A permanent residence permit is valid until further notice. If you have a permanent residence permit and the card is expiring, apply for a new card instead. You don’t need to apply for a permanent permit again. Similarly, if you have an extended permit and you have lost your card, you should apply for a new card instead.

Select the application that suits your situation

Extended residence permits
Your previous residence permit is about to expire and you wish to stay in Finland.
Permanent residence permit

These applications are for you if you meet the requirements for a permanent residence permit or a long-term EU residence permit.

If you already have been granted a permanent residence permit and your residence permit card is about to expire, apply for renewal of residence permit card.