Always sign in to Enter Finland with the latest version of your web browser and please use one of the following browsers to sign in: Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, Opera or Safari.
Technical difficulties in Enter Finland:
- The start page menu is not displayed properly on all mobile phones. If you cannot see the entire menu, rotate your mobile phone horizontally or use a computer.
- Problems with making payments if payment of processing fee gets interrupted before confirmation
- Due to technical problems, some customers cannot open requests for additional information at the moment
- There may be delays in partial decisions on residence permits for an employed person or on residence permits for seasonal work becoming visible in Enter Finland for Employers
- Payment information is not visible on Enter Finland for applications paid before 30 June 2023
- Problems with the attachments of the employer's certificates for seasonal work.
For more information and instructions, see the page Technical issues and service breaks in Enter Finland (migri.fi)
If you are applying for an extended permit or citizenship or renewing your residence permit card or residence card, it is possible that you do not need to visit a service point to prove your identity. For more information about when visiting a service point is not necessary, see the page Identification migri.fi/en/identification.
Extended residence permits
Apply for an extended residence permit approximately three months before your current residence permit expires. When you apply for an extended permit via Enter Finland before your current permit expires, you do not need to prove your identity at a service point before the expiration of your current permit. It is enough that you submit your application in Enter Finland in time.
If you have logged in to Enter Finland using online banking credentials, you have used strong electronic identification and may not need to visit a service point to prove your identity and to have your fingerprints taken. If you want to avoid visiting a service point, this is what you need to do:
1. Upgrade your Enter Finland account by taking strong identification in use.
- You must use the same account as you previously used when you applied for a permit. Read more at migri.fi/identification#account
2. Log in to your Enter Finland account using your online banking credentials, mobile certificate or citizen certificate.
3. Attach the retrieval code for your digital passport photo from the photo shop to your application. The retrieval code may not be more than 6 months old.
4. Pay for the application in Enter Finland.
5. Submit the application. Enter Finland will tell you whether you need to visit a service point or not.
Read more at migri.fi/identification.
If you apply for an extended permit before your current permit expires, your right to work will in most cases continue while your application is being processed.
If your current residence permit is about to expire and you need a new residence permit, apply for an extended permit on this page. If you have a permanent residence permit or a residence card for a family member of an EU citizen, and your residence permit card or residence card is about to expire or is lost, you should apply for the renewal of your residence permit card using the form Renewal of residence permit card or residence card of a family member of an EU citizen.
Apply for an extended permit also, if you are staying in Finland with a residence permit and the grounds for your residence are changing. If, for example, you were granted your first residence permit on the basis of family ties, but the family ties have broken and you have a job now, apply for an extended permit on the basis of employment.
If you do not yet have a residence permit, but you are already in Finland, apply for a first residence permit. A visa or a seasonal work permit is not a residence permit.
If you are not sure which permit you should apply for, use the Application Finder to find out.