Updates about the corona situation: migri.fi/coronavirus.

Always sign in to Enter Finland with the latest version of your web browser and please use one of the following browsers to sign in: Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, Opera or Safari.

When you log in with online bank credentials and apply for an extended permit, you do not necessarily need to visit a service point to identify yourself. Read more about strong identification at migri.fi/en/identification.
First residence permits

First residence permits

You must apply for a first residence permit if you plan to stay in Finland for longer than 90 days. Select the application form on the basis of whether you will work or study in Finland or if you want to move to Finland to live with a member of your family. Please remember that e-service accounts are for personal use only, so you can't send an application for your spouse or your employee through your own account. They must have their own account in Enter Finland.

You may have to apply for a residence permit for working even if your stay does not exceed 90 days. The right to work without a residence permit is restricted.

You cannot apply electronically in the following cases:

More information can be found on our website.

If you are an EU citizen or a citizen of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland, you do not need a residence permit. Instead you can register your right of residence at the Immigration Service. If you are a family member of a such citizen but not a citizen of these countries yourself, you can apply for a residence card of an EU citizen's family member.


 If you are not sure which grounds for applying you should choose, use the Application Finder on the Finnish Immigration Service website to find out.

Select the correct application.

You are coming to Finland to work for example as an employee or a self-employed person, or you will be an au pair.

Average processing time

The Finnish Immigration Service aims to issue a decision on residence permits for employed persons within four months. The target processing time for EU Blue Card applications is three months. These target processing times do not apply to applications for residence permits for self-employed persons or au pairs.

You are coming to Finland to study.

Average processing time

It takes 90 days on average from visiting the service point to process a residence permit application for studies. The Finnish Immigration Service aims to issue a decision before the studies are scheduled to start.

You are moving to Finland to live with your family member.

Average processing time

The processing time varies depending on whether further clarifications or documents or an oral hearing are needed. According to the Aliens Act, applications based on family ties are, as a rule, processed within nine months. However, applications of children born in Finland are processed within four months. Applications based on international adoption are processed as quickly as possible.