If you are applying for an extended permit or citizenship or renewing your residence permit card or residence card, it is possible that you do not need to visit a service point to prove your identity. For more information about when visiting a service point is not necessary, see the page Identification migri.fi/en/identification

First residence permits
Working in Finland

Working in Finland

If you wish to work in Finland and stay for longer than 90 days, you will always need a residence permit. In most cases, you will also need a residence permit to work in Finland for less than 90 days. Read more on the website of the Finnish Immigration Service.



First, you need to create a user account. You must submit your own application in Enter Finland yourself. After you have submitted your application in Enter Finland, your employer must add your terms of employment and other required documents to your application using Enter Finland for Employers.In Enter Finland for Employers, your employer can pay for the application before you go and prove your identity, follow the status of your application online and see when a decision has been made on your application.


If your family members are moving to Finland with you, you all can apply for a residence permit at the same time. Your spouse must create a user account and submit his or her own application in Enter Finland. Your children’s applications can be sent from your own user account. The Finnish Immigration Service tries to decide your and your family members’ applications at the same time, but there are situations when this is not possible.


Your family must have sufficient financial resources. Having sufficient financial resources means that you and your family have sufficient funds to live in Finland. For more information, see migri.fi/income-requirement.


If you are unsure of which permit you need, the Application Finder will help you find the right application.

Residence permit for an employed person (TTOL)

You are coming to Finland to work in a specific professional field, for example as a restaurant worker, construction worker, cleaner or childminder.  The process of granting a residence permit for an employed person involves labour market testing, which means that the employer must establish whether any labour suitable for the work is available in Finland or within the EU/EEA within a reasonable time. After assessing the matter, an Employment and Economic Development Office issues a partial decision. After that, the Finnish Immigration Service decides your application.



If you have completed a degree in Finland, apply for a residence permit for person with a degree completed in Finland.

Residence permit application for persons employed as a specialist

You are 

You want to apply for an EU Blue Card.

Residence permit for seasonal work

You are a seasonal worker  within the field of agriculture or tourism and your employment will last for 3 to 9 months. Jobs in forestry, crop production or at festivals are examples of seasonal work that requires a residence permit.


If you are working in Finland with a certificate for seasonal work and want to apply for an extension to it, apply for a first residence permit for seasonal work.

Residence permit application for internship

You will complete an internship, do voluntary work or take part in a Working Holiday.


You are coming to Finland

  • to do an internship, or
  • to do voluntary work as part of a voluntary service scheme organised by the European Union or by a non-governmental organisation, or 
  • to take part in a Working Holiday as a citizen of Australia, New Zealand, Japan or Canada.

Residence permit for a researcher

You are a researcher. You are coming to Finland in order to conduct scientific research, study for a licentiate degree or prepare a doctoral dissertation.

Residence permit application for au pair status

You are coming to Finland to work as an au pair, and you have a written au pair agreement with a host family living in Finland. The purpose of au pairing is to provide a young person aged 17 to 30 an opportunity to become acquainted with the language and culture of the country.

Residence permit application for an entrepreneur

You are an entrepreneur.

Residence permit for a startup entrepreneur

You are a startup entrepreneur and want to open a start-up company in Finland and your business plan and team fulfill the criteria for startup entrepreneurship.

Residence permit for an athlete or a coach

You work as a professional athlete, coach or referee.

Residence permit application to look for work or to start a business

If you have either studied and completed a degree in Finland or completed your research in Finland and you do not yet have a job.


The permit must be applied for within five years from the date when your residence permit for studies or research expired.

Residence permit application on the basis of other employment